CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS

Monday, June 8, 2009

Avocados: The Forgotten Fruit


Looking for something different to feed your growing baby or picky toddler? Try avocados, the forgotten fruit (at least by Gerber). Here's what's great about avocados: They are loaded with unsaturated good fats, vitamins, and minerals for growing bodies and strong bones. Here are a few ways I've incorporated them into my daughter's diet:

  • Create an avocado and pear puree (to add a little sweetness)
  • Blend avocado and plain whole milk yogurt
  • Mash avocado with chicken (creamy consistency helps the chicken go down easily)
  • Spread homemade guacamole (made from avocados) on your child's favorite cracker for a nutritious on-the-go snack.
Avocados are the "cool kids" when it comes to fresh produce. There is actually a site devoted to them: The Amazing Avocado. (After all, this is the internet.) You can visit for some meal planning ideas for the whole family: main dishes, side dishes, salads, and more!

Photo courtesy of Raw Food Nation.

4 comments:

mirmorris said...

I LOVE avocados. There's a little Cuban place near us that serves an avocado and onion salad. It's exactly that. Simple and delicious!

YUM! I'm definitely going to check out some of those meal ideas for more ways to take advantage of our abundance of avocados here in cali.

Sarah Morris said...

sometimes i think i don't give the avocado enough credit...i mean, besides the occasional slice on a sandwich or maybe in salad, guac is the only real use of the fruit. or so i used to think. i'm becoming more inventive...thanks MJ!!! :)

Allison said...

I loves me some avocados, which reminds me...I have some in a paper bag ripening in the pantry. Better go see if they are ripe enough to make guacamole....YUM!!!

"Mike" said...

I love telling people my Grandaughter loves avacados. Most people have never had one! "Mike"